UWC leadership met with Ambassador of Ukraine to the USA Ms. Oksana Markarova
On March 31, UWC leadership met with the newly appointed Ambassador of Ukraine to the United States of America, Ms. Oksana Markarova. The UWC was represented by President Paul Grod, First Vice President Stefan Romaniw, Vice President and President of the Ukrainian Congress Committee of America (UCCA) Andrew Futey, member of the national board of UCCA Marta Farion, UCCA Executive Vice President and Director of the Ukrainian National Information Service Michael Sawkiw, Head of the UWC Foreign Policy Council Ambassador Roman Waschuk, Head of the UWC UN Representative Office Andrij Dobriansky, Chair and Director of the UWC Economic Prosperity and Investment Committee Lenna Koszarny and Natalia Nemyliwska, and representatives of the UWC Kyiv and Toronto Offices.
In a candid discussion, the parties raised a number of important issues:
- Joint efforts and initiatives to support Ukraine in countering Russia’s military aggression.
- Support of Ukraine in reforming its key sectors and areas.
- Increase of political, cultural and economic cooperation between Ukraine and the US.
- The Ambassador’s priorities in a new role and development of cooperation with the Ukrainian diaspora.
- Joint efforts to establish multilateral cooperation in Washington, DC to secure the best representation of Ukrainian interests at all levels.
- Preparations for the celebration of the 30th anniversary of Ukraine’s independence.
The Ambassador also thanked the UWC and all Ukrainians abroad for their support and active work in the interests of Ukraine. “In my new position, I plan to be a very open ambassador and will do everything possible to ensure proactive and better communication. I also plan to actively engage with the Ukrainian community,” stated Ms. Markarova. According to Ambassador Markarova, strengthening of political, security, economic and humanitarian cooperation with the US will be her priorities in Washington, DC.
“As the representative organization of 1.5 million Ukrainian Americans, we look forward to a constructive working relationship which will benefit our community and increase the Strategic Partnership between the United States and Ukraine. We welcome you and pledge our support,” stated Andrew Futey, President of the Ukrainian Congress Committee of America.
Paul Grod, president of the Ukrainian World Congress, greeted Ambassador Markarova on her diplomatic posting and wished her success in implementing her stated priorities. “The UWC and all Ukrainian-American organizations stand ready to collaborate. Your success is our success,” stated Paul Grod.