Ukrainian World Congress calls for global condemnation and resolute action in support of Ukraine
The escalation of the war of the Russian Federation against Ukraine with its recent military attack on 25 November 2018 by Russian Federation warships on Ukrainian navy ships in the Kerch Strait, is yet another test of the international community with respect to the hybrid aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine.
Although international condemnation has been swift, actions have been minimal. The international community must take every measure to rebuke the Russian Federation while providing Ukraine with the capability to defend itself, and subsequently global peace and security.
The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) appeals to the international community to:
- Take every available measure to secure the immediate release by the Russian Federation of the:
- 24 Ukrainian sailors illegally arrested in this military attack and their seized ships, and
- 70 Ukrainian political prisoners illegally held in Russian prisons;
- Significantly strengthen sanctions against the Russian Federation for this latest brazen act of aggression against Ukraine’s sovereignty;
- Ban the Russian Federation from the SWIFT international payments system;
- Provide Ukraine with the military support (ground, air and naval) required for its defence.
The UWC calls upon every Ukrainian community, Ukrainian and friend of Ukraine to amplify the message by:
- Issuing statements of condemnation and calls to action;
- Writing letters to government representatives urging specific action;
- Writing letters to media highlighting the priorities for action;
- Actively engaging on social media sharing factual information about the situation in Ukraine.
“The Ukrainian World Congress appeals to the international community for swift action, delivering the message to the Russian Federation that its support for Ukraine and its territorial integrity is resolute and unequivocal,” stated UWC President Paul Grod.