Ukrainian World Congress calls to support Nadiya Savchenko with one-day hunger strike on 8 March 2015
CALL TO ACTION
The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) supports the call of the World Federation of Ukrainian Women’s Organizations to support Nadiya Savchenko, Ukrainian Member of Parliament and delegate to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, with a one-day hunger strike on 8 March 2015 – International Women’s Day.
The former Ukrainian Air Force pilot has been on a hunger strike since 13 December 2014 to protest her illegal detention by Russian authorities and her health continues to deteriorate.
In a letter dated 24 February 2015, Nadiya Savchenko reaffirmed her resolve to continue her protest of the authoritarian regime of President Vladimir Putin and called for support internationally to raise awareness of her plight.
What can you do?
- Show your support for Nadiya Savchenko by joining this international hunger strike.
- Notify local media to bring attention to Nadiya’s critical situation and call for her immediate release.
- Organize local events that can include demonstrations, marches, vigils or meetings in community centres or even private homes.
- Send articles to local newspapers, issue a media advisory, publicize your event on social media.
- Send messages of support to Nadiya, upload photos and reports about your event to the Nadiya Savchenko Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/nadiyasavchenko1).
- Make a donation in Nadiya Savchenko’s name to the UWC humanitarian initiative Patriot Defence (patriotdefence.org) working to save the lives of the courageous men and women on the front lines defending Ukraine, its people and territory, from the ceaseless Russian aggression.