Ukrainian World Congress welcomes the historic decision of the Holy Synod – to proceed with the granting of Autocephaly to the Church of Ukraine
The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) welcomes today’s historic decision of the Holy Synod presided by His All-Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch, to proceed with the granting of autocephaly to the Church of Ukraine.
The statement of the Holy Synod reads as follows:
The Holy Synod discussed in particular and at length the ecclesiastical matter of Ukraine, in the presence of His Excellency Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon and His Grace Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton, Patriarchal Exarchs to Ukraine, and following extensive deliberations decreed:
1) To renew the decision already made that the Ecumenical Patriarchate proceed to the granting of Autocephaly to the Church of Ukraine.
2) To re-establish, at this moment, the Stavropegion of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Kyiv, one of its many Stavropegia in Ukraine that existed there always.
3) To accept and review the petitions of appeal of Filaret Denisenko, Makariy Maletych and their followers, who found themselves in schism not for dogmatic reasons, in accordance with the canonical prerogatives of the Patriarch of Constantinople to receive such petitions by hierarchs and other clergy from all of the Autocephalous Churches. Thus, the above-mentioned have been canonically reinstated to their hierarchical or priestly rank, and their faithful have been restored to communion with the Church.
4) To revoke the legal binding of the Synodal Letter of the year 1686, issued for the circumstances of that time, which granted the right through oikonomia to the Patriarch of Moscow to ordain the Metropolitan of Kyiv, elected by the Clergy-Laity Assembly of his eparchy, who would commemorate the Ecumenical Patriarch as the First hierarch at any celebration, proclaiming and affirming his canonical dependence to the Mother Church of Constantinople.
5) To appeal to all sides involved that they avoid appropriation of Churches, Monasteries and other properties, as well as every other act of violence and retaliation, so that the peace and love of Christ may prevail.
“On behalf of the 20-million strong Ukrainian diaspora, the Ukrainian World Congress expresses immense gratitude to the Holy Synod and His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch for the long-awaited decision – to proceed with the granting of autocephaly to the Church of Ukraine, and greets the entire Ukrainian nation with this historic event,” stated UWC President Eugene Czolij.