UWC calls for the international community to join the #SaveOlegSentsov action in defence of the rights of political prisoners illegally detained by the Russian Federation
The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) calls upon the international community to join the global initiative in defence of the rights of Ukrainians illegally detained by the Russian Federation. Public actions are being organized in various parts of the world on 9-12 December 2018 by the #SaveOlegSentsov initiative.
On 10 December 2018, the world will celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which guarantees rights and freedoms to every person. The European Union also supports the cause of human rights through awarding the annual Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought since 1988. The prize is awarded to individuals who have made an exceptional contribution to the fight for human rights across the globe, drawing attention to human rights violations as well as supporting the laureates and their cause.
On 12 December 2018, the Sakharov Prize will be awarded to one of the most well-known political prisoners of the Kremlin, Oleh Sentsov, a Ukrainian film director and writer, an outspoken opponent of Russia’s occupation of Crimea. Sentsov, convicted in a farcical show trial, was sentenced by the Russian regime to 20 years in prison and will remain imprisoned during the ceremony. In addition, 70 other political prisoners, at least 100 hostages, and 24 Ukrainian sailors are illegally jailed by the Russian Federation.
The UWC supports the call to action of the #SaveOlegSentsov initiative and calls on international leaders to:
- Serve as mediators between Russia and Ukraine to negotiate the release of Oleh Sentsov and all of the hostages of the Kremlin, including 70 political prisoners in the Russian Federation and illegally occupied Crimea, more than 100 military and civilian hostages being held in the Russian-occupied Donbas, and 24 Ukrainian sailors currently being held in Russia’s Lefortovo prison.
- Adopt national laws imposing personal sanctions on individuals involved in gross violations of human rights around the world, specifically, political persecution in Russia and on the occupied Ukrainian territories.
- Support the initiative to develop European legislation akin to the Magnitsky Act at the meeting of European Union Foreign Ministers on 10 December 2018 in Brussels.
- Fight for the effective implementation of the fundamental principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights so as to protect the dignity, rights and freedoms of all prisoners of the Kremlin.
How can you help #SaveOlegSentsov:
- Choose an article from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Insert the full text of the article (or the first sentence) after the following words:
On 10 December, the world will celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Symbolically, on 12 December 2018, the Sakharov Prize will be awarded to the prisoner of the Kremlin, Oleg Sentsov, who will remain behind bars during the ceremony. In addition, there are about 70 other political prisoners, over 100 hostages, and 24 captured Ukrainian sailors. I demand the implementation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the release of all the hostages of the Kremlin. Because … (insert the text of the article you selected). #SaveOlegSentsov
December 10th is the anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Oleg Sentsov and other hostages of the Kremlin are still behind bars. I demand implementation of the Declaration and their release. Because (insert the text of the article you selected). #SaveOlegSentsov
- Write a post on your social network using the hashtag #SaveOlegSentsov
- Select as a post image the photo of any of the Ukrainian political prisoners or hostages held in the occupied Crimea, Donbas, or the Russian Federation. If you do not know which photo to choose, you can use the general picture of the campaign.
- Tag in your post at least 3 friends, give them a link to this post, and hand them over the baton to continue this flash mob.
The UWC joins the #SaveOlegSentsov initiative in calling for individuals and its member organizations to organize actions in different cities around the world between 9 and 12 December 2018. To contact the organizers, please write to [email protected]
Media contact: Irene Mycak
Telephone: +1 (416) 919-6566
E-mail: [email protected]