UWC President meets with Ukrainian Church Hierarchs, the Prime Minister and high-ranking government officials of Ukraine
Between 28 August and 2 September 2014, in conjunction with the Annual General Meeting of the Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) in Kyiv, UWC President Eugene Czolij, together with the leadership of the UWC, met with Patriarch Filaret of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Kyiv Patriarchate, Patriarch Sviatoslav (Shevchuk) of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, and high-ranking government officials of Ukraine including Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk, the Deputy Prime Minister, Ministers of the Cabinet of Ministers, the Deputy Head of the Presidential Administration, the Mayor of Kyiv and the Rector of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv.
During the meeting with Prime Minister of Ukraine Arseniy Yatseniuk the UWC President signed the Memorandum on Cooperation between the Ukrainian World Congress and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. Meetings with high-ranking government officials of Ukraine focused on the avenues for future cooperation within the framework of this Memorandum, the development of action plans, and the appointment of the Deputy Ministers responsible for Euro-integration to implement the Memorandum on the part of Ukraine.
Particular attention was dedicated to the key issues for today’s Ukraine related to defending its independence and sovereignty. Participants of the meetings discussed the importance of strengthening joint actions to secure military assistance for Ukraine to enable the defence of its borders, the designation of Ukraine as a Major Non-NATO Ally of the United States, the adoption by the United States Congress of the Ukraine Security Assistance Act and the broadeningof targeted sector-specific sanctions against the Russian Federation.
Also discussed were UWC humanitarian activities and the cooperation with the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine on Project: Patriot Defence, joint actions to further the ratification of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement, and the upcoming Parliamentary Elections scheduled for 26 October 2014 and international monitoring missions, including a UWC mission.
On 31 August 2014, in the presence of representatives of the Ukrainian diaspora, Patriarch Filaret and Patriarch Sviatoslav (Shevchuk) blessed the newlyestablished UWC Ukraine office.
Upon conclusion of the UWC Annual General Meeting, Eugene Czolij led a UWC delegation to visit wounded soldiers in the main military clinical hospital in Kyiv.
“During our meetings I expressed the assurance that the Ukrainian diaspora with the UWC at the helm will continue to effectively and decisively act to assist Ukraine defend its independence and stop the Russian Federation’s aggression in Ukraine,” stated UWC President Eugene Czolij.
List of individuals with whom the UWC President met in Kyiv:
1. Patriarch Filaret of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Kyivan Patriarchate
2. Patriarch Sviatoslav (Shevchuk) of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
3. Prime Minister of Ukraine Arseniy Yatseniuk
4. Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine Oleksandr Sych
5. Minister of Foreign Affairs Pavlo Klimkin
6. Minister of Culture Yevhen Nyshchuk
7. Minister of Youth and Sports Dmytro Bulatov
8. Deputy Head of the Presidential Administration of Ukraine Valeriy Chaly
9. Deputy Minister of Defence of Ukraine Admiral Ihor Kabanenko
10. Mayor of the City of Kyiv Vitalii Klitschko
11. Rector of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv Leonid Hubersky
Joining the UWC President at various meetings were:
1. UWC First Vice President and President of the European Congress of Ukrainians Jaroszlava Hartyani
2. UWC Second Vice President and President of the the World Federation of Ukrainian Women’s Organizations Orysia Sushko
3. UWC Secretary General and Chairman of the Australian Federation of Ukrainian Organisations Stefan Romaniw
4. UWC TreasurerZenon Potoczny
5. UWC Vice President and President of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress Paul Grod
6. UWC Vice PresidentSerhiy Kasyanchuk
7. UWC International Educational Coordinating Council Chair Oksana Wynnyckyj
8. UWC International Council on Cultural AffairsChair Anna Kisil
9. UWC World Council of Ukrainian Cooperatives Chair Olya Sheweli
10. UWC International Committee on Development of New Ukrainian Communities Chair Yuri Chopyk
11. President of the World Congress of Ukrainian Youth Organizations Myroslav Hochak
12. UWC Director of Humanitarian Initiatives Ulana Suprun
13. UWC Executive Administrator Lesia Szubelak
14. UWC Representative in Ukraine Sviatoslav Yurash