The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) is seeking a dynamic and strategic Director to lead UWC’s Mission to the United Nations (UN) in New York City. The purpose of the Mission is to inform UN member states and non-government organizations about human rights and humanitarian challenges facing Ukraine and the Ukrainian people both in Ukraine and those who have been forced to seek refuge abroad.
The Director will lead UWC’s advocacy, communication, and stakeholder engagement work at the UN. Among the key objectives will be ensure an immediate, complete and unconditional withdraw all of Russia’s military forces and proxy militias from the territory of Ukraine; for Russia to cease all hostilities and pay reparations for full rebuilding of Ukraine; and seek justice for Russia’s war crimes and crimes and against humanity.
The Director will be UWC’s representative to the UN and will engage various UN Missions to educate and inform on key policy issues important to the UWC.
The responsibilities of the position will include:
Government relations – develop and implement advocacy strategies and plans for government relations to advance UWC’s key policy priorities. Identify and maintain effective relationships and represent UWC at meetings and events.
Organize meetings and events, participate in public policy discussion, engage with media, academia, think tanks and other institutions.
Monitor the political landscape and political activities.
Develop education and information campaigns.
Communications – develop and contribute content for ongoing policy communications including social media, news releases, reports, web site and other content and channels.
QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES, & SKILLS
- Minimum five years’ related experience in a law firm, public policy organization, diplomatic mission, or government office.
- Experience relevant to international relations, human rights, economic sanctions, special tribunals advocacy and litigation.
- University degree in the areas of public policy, law, human rights, public administration and/or 5-7 years experience in progressively senior roles relevant to the position’s responsibilities.
- Strong knowledge and experience with operations and protocols of the United Nations Organization.
- Excellent understanding of world history, geopolitics, history and political understanding of current affairs of Ukraine, and global security issues.
- Sound political judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Superior communication skills, ability to advise, effectively engage and influence a wide range of stakeholders.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to produce high-quality and timely policy documents and compelling position briefs.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, managing, and adjusting conflicting priorities.
- Exceptional organizational skills, with superb attention to detail and quality while meeting deadlines and multitasking in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Critical thinking, creative problem-solving, and the ability to take initiative.
- Comfortable with standard office software, contact management, and with social media platforms.
- English and Ukrainian language proficiency.
- Legally entitled to work in the United States and able to travel internationally.
- Occasional evening and weekend work.
Position will be based in New York City and reports to the Executive Director and will work closely with the UWC President, leadership and stakeholders.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and covering letter in confidence to: [email protected]To apply