Russian missile and drone barrage on Kyiv kills 18 civilians, including 4 children

A large-scale package of Russian cruise missiles and one-way attack drones targeted Kyiv overnight, killing at least 18 civilians, including four children, officials said on Aug. 28.
The State Emergency Service said search and rescue crews pulled more bodies from the rubble of a five-story residential building, bringing the death toll higher as emergency teams continued clearing debris. Dozens more were injured, including several children, authorities said.
Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko confirmed that three of the children — ages 2, 14 and 17 — died in hospital after suffering severe injuries, while another was killed at the scene. Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko declared a day of mourning for the victims.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy condemned the strike as a deliberate attack on civilians and urged Western partners to impose tougher sanctions on Moscow. “Russia chooses missiles over negotiations, death over peace,” he said.
According to Ukraine’s Air force, the assault was part of a wider barrage in which Russia launched more than 600 drones and missiles across Ukraine. Most were intercepted, but 13 strikes were recorded nationwide.
SOURCESymbolic number of the Day
Ukraine downs nearly 600 Russian missiles and drones in overnight barrage. Ukraine’s air defences intercepted 589 out of 629 Russian aerial assets that were launched during a massive overnight strike on Aug. 27–28, the country’s Air Force reported.
From 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 27, Russia launched 598 suicide drones and decoy unmanned aerial vehicles from multiple directions, along with two Kinzhal aeroballistic missiles, nine Iskander ballistic missiles, and 20 Kh-101 cruise missiles.
By 9 a.m. on the following day, Ukrainian forces had downed or jammed 563 drones, one Kinzhal, seven Iskanders and 18 Kh-101s. Despite the high interception rate, Russian missiles and drones struck 13 targets, while falling debris was recorded at 26 sites, including in Kyiv, the hardest hit location during the airborne attack.
SOURCEWar in Pictures

Russian aerial strike damages high-speed trains in Ukraine. Russian forces struck a Ukrainian Railways depot overnight on Aug. 27–28, setting off a fire that damaged a passenger rolling stock, including part of the Intercity+ high-speed fleet, the state-run company said.
Railway workers sheltered during the attack, so no casualties were reported. Depot staff later extinguished the blaze. At least one train was heavily damaged.
SOURCEVideo of the Day
Ukrainian defense intelligence strike damages Russian Kalibr missile carrier in Azov Sea. Ukraine’s military intelligence said its forces struck and damaged a Russian Buyan-M class projectile corvette armed with Kalibr cruise missiles in the Azov Sea on Aug. 28 with a maritime drone.
According to the Main Intelligence Directorate (HUR), the attack near theRussian-occupied Crimean Peninsula was carried out jointly by its Active Operations Department and special unit “Ghosts.” A drone strike disabled the ship’s radar before special forces hit the vessel itself.
The corvette, which had been on duty in the Temryuk Bay within firing range for Kalibr launches, was forced to withdraw after the attack. The extent of the damage remains unclear, and Russia has not commented on the incident.
SOURCEInstitute for the Study of War (ISW) report

Key Takeaways:
- The Russian-created water crisis in occupied Donetsk Oblast is worsening into a full-fledged humanitarian crisis as the Donetsk Oblast occupation administration is failing to resolve water supply issues and is instead using the situation to justify further Russian aggression against Ukraine.
- Kremlin puppet – “head of the Donetsk People’s Republic Denis Pushilin” has consistently approached the water crisis by deflecting blame onto Ukraine, despite the fact that it is his administration’s legal responsibility to provide for the health and well-being of the population they have occupied.
- Russia is deepening its institutional infiltration of the school system in occupied Ukraine in the lead-up to the new academic year.
- The Russian Ministry of Education is also increasing its direct oversight into schools in occupied Ukraine in a way that is likely to endanger children and families, using occupied Luhansk Oblast as a testing ground.
- Russia continues to passportize the elderly, the disabled, and the youth in occupied Ukraine.
Latest news
- EU summons Russian chargé d’affaires over attack on EU mission building in Kyiv
- Putin’s spokesman calls deadly Russian strike on Kyiv “successful” and claims that Russia wants talks
- Russians strike Ukrainian Navy vessel, killing one crew member
- The New York Times: Russians are flying drones over US military cargo routes in Germany
- Von der Leyen makes emergency statement on Russian attack on Kyiv: new sanctions ahead
- Ukrainian foreign minister rebukes Hungarian counterpart: You value Russian pipeline over Ukrainian children killed by Russia