Every fourth Saturday of November, the global Ukrainian community, united by the Ukrainian World Congress, pays tribute to the victims of the Holodomor genocide of 1932-33. This year, commemorative events are taking place throughout the month, with the traditional candlelight vigil worldwide on Saturday, November 25.
The Holodomor-90 awareness campaign unites the greater Ukrainian community worldwide. Individuals and organizations from across the world are joining together to remember the genocide known as “Holodomor.” Leading groups include the Holodomor Research and Education Consortium, the Ukrainian World Congress, the Ukrainian Congress Committee of America, the U.S. Committee for Ukrainian Holodomor-Genocide Awareness, Razom for Ukraine, Ukrainian Canadian Congress, Klych, Ukrainian National Women’s League of America, World Federation of Ukrainian Women Organizations, Door County Candle Company, Holodomor Descendants Network, and Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine Holy Family Choir.
On the occasion of the 90th anniversary of this tragic chapter in our history, the Ukrainian World Congress calls upon worldwide Ukrainians to:
- Conduct a Holodomor-90 awareness campaign in conjunction with the UWC and our partners;
- Send appeals to governments of countries that have not yet recognized Holodomor as genocide;
- Hold events with video materials screenings and interviews with descendants of Holodomor victims;
- Conduct workshops and lectures in Ukrainian weekend schools;
- Join the “Light a candle – Take a pledge” online campaign.
On November 25, light candles in your windows or places of commemoration and make a vow of remembrance!
Materials, sample letters, theses, videos, and banners can be downloaded here.