Above: Ukrainian troops learn fast and deploy HIMARS effectively. Photo via RFERL
- Many analysts note that the West is taking a kind of “wait and see” approach to provision of big armaments to Ukraine. Allies wait until they see how well Ukraine gains battlefield capacity before sending more weapons. Ukraine has surpassed any expectations for putting its little stock of High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems to good use.
- A senior US defense department office noted that Ukraine’s skilled deployment of only eight HIMARS has been able to “significantly disrupt the ability of the Russians to move forward.” The US pledged an additional four HIMARS as well as 1000 rounds of “ a new type of” 155-mm artillery with “greater precision.”
- Weapons analysts estimate that Ukraine needs about sixty longer-range rocket systems to push the invaders out.
Above: Illegal invader passports are no good in the EU. Photo via The Times
- High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrell said in a statement that the EU resolutely condemns Russia’s push to make residents of occupied territories receive enemy passports. The EU will not recognize Russian passports issued to Ukrainians in Russian-occupied Ukraine.
- For added measure, the EU condemned the enemy’s introduction of the ruble and forced teaching in Russian language in schools in the occupied areas.
Above: Train from Belarus to Kaliningrad has a green light now. Screenshot from video via Deutsche Welle
- The European Commission “clarified” its position on transit of sanctioned goods destined for Kaliningrad through EU territory. Now the EU will allow rail transit, but not road transit, of goods to Kaliningrad as long as the intended purpose is not military. The clarification came in response to Kremlin outrage that Europe would blockade sovereign Russian territory – namely, its military base on the Baltic Sea.
Address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, March 20, 2023
March 20,2023 32
Estonian defense minister: Russian army has not changed in 100 years
March 20,2023 34
Ukraine wins the first gold at the first-ever Artistic Swimming World Cup event
March 20,2023 48
Day 390 of War on Ukraine
March 20,2023 61