ISW KEY TAKEAWAYS: AMID ANOTHER ENEMY MISSILE BARRAGE ON CIVILIANS, UKRAINE APPEARS TO HAVE LONG-RANGE STRIKE CAPACITY
Map: Apparently, enemy air defense shot down long-range Ukrainian drones over two enemy air bases in Ryazan and Saratov yesterday. (BBC)
FIRST, UKRAINE STRUCK DEEP INTO RUSSIAN TERRITORY
- Ukrainian forces likely conducted strikes on two Russian strategic airbases on December 5, inflicting light damage while demonstrating Ukraine’s ability to strike Russian rear areas and possibly disrupt Russia’s campaign of strikes against Ukrainian infrastructure.
- Ukrainian forces used UAVs to strike the Engels-2 airbase in Saratov Oblast (approximately 315 miles from Ukrainian territory) and the Dyagilevo Air Base in Ryazan Oblast (approximately 285 miles from Ukrainian territory).
- Both airbases house elements of Russia’s strategic bomber fleet, which Russia has employed to strike Ukraine throughout the war. Ukrainian authorities have not formally claimed responsibility for the strikes as of publication.
- Anger over the Russian military’s inability to prevent the Ukrainian strikes over 280 miles from Ukrainian positions outweighed praise. Russian milbloggers criticized Russian officials for failing to anticipate and prevent the drone strikes at the Engels-2 and Dyagilevo Air Bases on December 5.
THEN, THE ENEMY BOMBED UKRAINIAN CIVILIANS
- Russian forces conducted missile strikes targeting Ukrainian civilian and energy infrastructure in Kyiv, Odesa, Vinnetysia, Sumy and Zaporizhia Oblasts.
- The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian air defenses shot down 60 of over 70 missiles
- The small percentage of Russian strikes getting through Ukraine’s air defenses are nevertheless having significant effects on Ukrainian critical infrastructure.
Video: Ukraine General Staff of the Armed Forces daily video summary
Above: Satellite image shows damage to one of two enemy air bases deep inside enemy territory that were struck Monday, likely by Ukrainian drones. (CNN)
Ukrainian General Staff of the Armed Forces estimated enemy losses for last 24 hours
- Liquidated personnel, 92,200 (+510)
- Tanks, 2,929 (+5)
- Armored personnel vehicles, 5,905 (+5)
- Artillery systems/MLRS, 1,915/395 (+1/0)
- Anti-aircraft warfare systems, 211 (0)
- Aircraft/helicopters, 281/264 (+1/0)
- UAV operational-tactical level, 1,587 (+5)
- Cruise missiles, 592 (+61)
- Warships/boats, 16 (0)
- Vehicles and fuel tanks, 4,505 (+8)
- Special equipment, 163 (0)
Video: “Moment two of Putin’s Tu-95 nuclear bombers ‘are BLOWN UP in Ukrainian drone attack” (The Sun)
Above: Kyvians huddle in an underground subway shelter during enemy missile blitzkreig yesterday. (GPB)
- The invaders do not stop shelling our troops’ positions and settlements along the line of encounter. Actively apply aviation in Donetsk region.
- In the Siverskskyi direction, the enemy fired mortars and barrel artillery at the settlements of Bunâkine, Oleksandrívka, Loknâ and junakívka of Sumy
- In the Slobozhanskyi direction, the opponent continues to hold his troops in the border areas of the Belgorod region. Hostile shelling with mortars and barrel artillery was experienced by the areas of Strelech, Krasne, Morohovets, Bugruvatka, Gatyshche, Bochkove, Mala Vovcha, Chugunivka, Bologivka and Dvorichna Kharkiv
- The enemy is defending in the Kupyansk and Lyman He carried out shelling from tanks, mortars and barrel artillery in the areas of Višneve, Liman First, Kislivka, Kotlyarivka, Tabayivka, Krokhmalne Kharkiv region; Novoselivske and Stelmakhivka of Luhansk and Ploshanka, Chervonopovka, Tern And, Makíivka and the bear in Donetsk region.
- In the Bakhmut and Avdiivka areas, the opponent is trying to improve the tactical position by leading offensive actions. 26 districts of settlements were under fire from the entire spectrum of artillery. Among them are Andriivka, Verkhnyokamianske, Berestove, Belogorivka, Bakhmutsʹke, Bakhmut, Klishchievka, Konstantinivka, White Mountain, Friendship, Avdiivka, Pervomajske, Nevelske, Krasnogorivka , Maryinka and Novomykhaylivka of Donetsk region. The occupants launched air strikes in the areas of Spyrne, Verkhnyokamianske, Opitne, Vodyane, Pervomaiskke and Nevelske.
- The enemy is defending in the Novopavlivsk He carried out shelling in the areas of Bogoyavlenka, Vuhledar and Golden Niva of Donetsk region. Launched an airstrike near the city of Vuhledar.
- The enemy is conducting defensive operations in the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson Artillery shelling was recorded in areas over thirty settlements next to the collision line. In particular, the bridge of vremívka and novopil donetsk region; gulyajpílʹske, bílogirâ, mali sherbaki, kachkarívka, milove, tyaginka, tokarívka of kherson region and the city of Kherson.
Above: A building burns after shelling in Bakhmut, Donetsk. (CNN)
- Russian forces continued to make incremental gains around Bakhmut, and conducted offensive operations in the Avdiivka-Donetsk City
- Russian occupation officials continued the forceful transfer of Ukrainian children from occupied territories in Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts to Russia under the guise that the children require special medical care.
Above: Monday’s enemy missile barrage killed civilians in Zaporizhzhya Oblast as the tiny dictator toured repairs to the Kerch Bridge. (Voice of America)
- Russian forces shelled more than 20 settlements on the right (west) bank of the Dnipro River and continued to strike Kherson City.